What is a Cervical Cap?
A cervical cap (popularly recognized through the emblem name FemCap), is a small cup formed object created from silicone. It is inserted deep into the vagina, earlier than sex, and rests in opposition to the cervix to forestall pregnancy. They are a protected and efficient delivery control choice.
Cervical caps are very similar to diaphragms, with the exception of they’re much smaller and less not unusual. However, girls who in finding it difficult to stay a diaphragm in place have a tendency to have extra good fortune with cervical caps.
How do they Prevent Pregnancy?
The FemCap rests towards the cervix, forming a barrier which blocks sperm from getting thru. Without sperm fertalizing an egg, it’s unattainable to turn out to be pregnant.
The cap must be used along side spermicide. This is helping to immobilize sperm and additional prevent it from travelling during the cervix. Risk of being pregnant is much decrease when using the cap and spermicide together.
What Are the Benefits?
There are many advantages to the usage of the cap, together with:
- • Easy to use
- • No hormonal side effects
- • No prescription required (unlike the patch)
- • Generally comfy all over intercourse (not like male condoms or feminine condoms)
- • Can be used right through breast feeding (unlike delivery control drugs)
- • Can be inserted as much as 6 hours before sex
- • Re-usable for up to 2 years
- • Cost effective
- • Reversible at any time if you decide you wish to change into pregnant
What Are the Disadvantages?
A Major drawback of the cervical cap is that it can’t be used while a girl is on her length. Therefore, ladies who depend at the cap as their most effective birth regulate means must abstain from intercourse or use a different type of delivery keep watch over all over this time.
Effectiveness of the FemCap is significantly lower for ladies who have already given birth. For those ladies, a bigger cap or diaphragm is also required. If neither of these are recommended by your doctor, a unique birth keep an eye on choice must be considered.
The cap may also be difficult to insert as it should be or temporarily. Some ladies have trouble reaching a long way sufficient into their vagina to insert it properly. In addition, it can be driven out of place via heavy thrusting, certain sex positions, or penis sizes. Therefore, changes may be required before or right through sex.
Although the cap can also be reused for as much as 2 years, it must be inserted prior to each and every sexual intercourse, very similar to a condom or sponge. Having this preparation previous to sex can ruin the temper. However the Femcap can also be inserted up to 6 hours ahead of intercourse in case you watch for it taking place early.
Another essential notice is that the cap should be used with spermicide. This is an added cost and can reason some irritation and different undesirable unwanted side effects. You must examine the advantages and disadvantages of spermicide ahead of buying a cervical cap.
How Effective is the Cap?
The cervical cap is best for girls who have by no means given beginning. For those that use it accurately:
• Among girls who’ve never been pregnant or given delivery, 14 out of 100 will turn into pregnant
• Among girls who have given beginning, 29 out of 100 will turn out to be pregnant
These numbers are lowered if the FemCap is used with spermicide. In addition, the male can build up effectiveness through the usage of a condom or pulling out.
The cervical cap does not offer protection to towards STD’s. You must use a male condom or feminine condom to stop infections.
Is it Safe?
They are safe to use for most women, alternatively sure prerequisites might put you at a better risk.
This way may not be right for you if you are allergic to silicone or spermicide. In addition if in case you have:
• Difficulty inserting the cap inside of yourself
• Physical issues together with your uterus or vagina
• Cuts for your vaginal or cervical tissue
• Poor vaginal muscle tone
• A reproductive tract an infection
• Given birth prior to now 10 weeks
• Cancer of the uterus, vagina or vulva
• Recently had an abortion
• Recnetly had suregery to your cervix
• A history of poisonous surprise syndrome
How do i Exploit a FemCap?
To put the cap in as it should be, apply those directions:
- Wash your arms with soap and water.
- Apply spermicide to the out of doors of the FemCap, on the best and around the higher rim.
- While in a comfy place, find your cervix along with your palms so you know where the cervical cap should be positioned.
- With one hand, separate the labia, and squeeze the outer rim of the cap together.
- Insert the cap into the vagina, with the dome side going through the floor.
- Push down toward the anus and then tuck the cap in opposition to the cervix, making sure it’s protecting the cervix utterly.
- Keep the cap in position for six hours after intercourse (however not than 48 hours).
When getting rid of the cap, practice these instructions:
- Wash your palms with soap and water.
- Squat down low.
- Grip the removing strap and rotate the cap.
- Push at the dome to damage the suction.
- Pull the cap out by way of hooking your finger under the removing strap.
- Wash the cap with warm water and a bit cleaning soap.
- Air dry it (don’t use powder or different fabrics for possibility of an infection).
- Inspect it for holes or weak spots and only reuse if it’s in very best situation.
The process will get more straightforward over the years, so continue to practice till you’re feeling ok with it.
Tips for the use of
Always use spermicide in tandem with a FemCap.
For very best results, check to verify the cap is completely protecting the cervix earlier than each and every instance of sexual intercourse.
Risk of pregnancy can be further decreased through the use of a condom or pulling out along with the use of the FemCap.